Here's an interesting heads-up on future employment demographics (note: training impact) from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics - Employment Projections: 2008-2018 Summary
- The number of persons age 55 years + in the labor force is expected to increase by 12.0 million, or 43.0 percent, during the 2008-2018 period
- The labor force in 2018 will be more diverse (Asian workers +29.8%, Hispanics +33.1%)
- Service-providing industries will add 14.6 million jobs, or 96 percent of the increase in total employment
- Occupations that require a post-secondary degree are expected to account for nearly half of all new jobs
- Short and moderate-term on-the-job training are the most significant sources of post-secondary education for 17 of the 30 occupations projected to have the largest employment growth
What does this mean for...
- corporate talent recruiting & development efforts?
- efforts to make work spaces welcoming for a diverse talent force?
- support for emerging leaders?
- internal talent development and learning programs?