10 Questions to Ask Emerging Leaders
Gather your high-potential employees together–those employees you have identified as future and emerging leaders–and ask them what they need in order to succeed. Do it now, before they leave.
Here are some questions I might ask your emerging leaders:
1. How do you define success (visualize it five years from now...)?
2. What are the biggest challenges facing employees today?
3. What changes are occurring within your department, and what is needed to address them?
4. How are you improving employee performance and the customer experience?
5. Do you see your personal philosophy and the organization's as different or 100% aligned?
6. In five words or less, how would you describe this organization's leadership experience?
7. If you could work anywhere in the world (doing anything you want) would it be here?
8. What should an emerging leader be required to do, above and beyond any job description?
9. What do emerging leaders like you need from this organization?
10. Anything else...?